google_ad

Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Q1U gets HSDPA


Excitedly I have just got my Q1U-V back from an engineer friend…the welding, bending, mending type of angineer, and I am happy to report that it is HSDPA enabled now!Now for some of you this may sound like a bit of a “what tha!” but for me it is very exciting as the Samsung Q1U has never been available in Australia with the HSDPA chip. Why you might ask? Well the reason is that we have our own very very stringent set of Telecommunications Standards Downunder called the A-Tick. Not only does this A-Tick Standard have to be passed, but it seems as though without the might of one of the “big boys” behind you (Telcos) you won’t even get the A-Tick any way. The only workaround therefore is to retro fit a locally an A-Ticked modem to the Samsung after it lands in the Country…and that’s just what we did.The modem is the Sierra mini PCI Express HSDPA modem. It works perfectly and I must admit it makes the Q1U a entirely different experience (in a good way).

No comments: